Sunday, May 25, 2014

WIP: Jeanette

When I first started getting into drawing these creature things, Jeanette was the first one. I never finished her sketch, but I did turn her into a final piece on wood. Anyway though, I love her. So I have recycled her (as I have with other creatures) for another deck piece. 


Once again, I started painting before I took a picture of the sketch on the deck. You can barely see it and its really rough, but its there. When I did Ralf (the blue elephant with human feet) I put too much detail in the sketch and the pen was kind of a struggle to cover up. So I made an effort to only get the basic shape of what I'm going for. 


Originally, I thought it'd be cool to have something that looked like blown bubblegum. Julia Randall's series Blown (its beautiful) is where the inspiration sorta came from. Anyway, once I started painting I used more reds than pinks and the images began to look more like odd organs or something. Rather than scrapping it or changing it, I just kind of went with it. And frankly, I pretty happy with it thus far.


Beginning of Jeanette and more progression on the organ things:


Close up of lips:


No comments:

Post a Comment